BATON ROUGE, LA – Independence Day is just around the corner – which means patriotic events, family picnics, and of course, fireworks. As our nation prepares to celebrate, Attorney General Jeff Landry encourages the people of Louisiana to put safety first.
“As we commemorate the signing of our Declaration of Independence, I encourage everyone to keep this great American holiday safe and fun for all,” said Attorney General Jeff Landry. “Obeying all local firework laws and following all firework instructions will help make our communities safer.”
According to the U.S. Consumer Product Safety Commission, hundreds of people go to the emergency room with fireworks-related injuries around the July 4th holiday. Attorney General Jeff Landry encourages consumers to follow these tips to avoid injuries and celebrate safely:
· Only use fireworks if they are legal in your area.
· Store fireworks in a cool, dry place away from children and pets.
· Never allow children to play with or ignite fireworks.
· Light only one firework at a time and never attempt to relight one that does not go off after it has been ignited.
· Never throw or point a firework toward people, animals, vehicles, houses, or flammable materials.
· Keep a hose or bucket of water handy in case of a malfunction or fire.
For more consumer safety tips, call Attorney General Jeff Landry’s Consumer Protection Hotline at 800-351-4889 or visit www.AGJeffLandry.com.